Rate my experience
  • Home
  • Make an Insurance claim

Making a claim

We make the claims process simple

How to make a claim

If something happens and you need to make a claim, get in touch with us as soon as possible. We're here to help and can talk you through the different options available to you.

Life, trauma, income protection and disability claims

Online Lodge your claim using our online claims notification service
Call us 0800 267 425 - Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Write to us claimsmailbox@amplife.co.nz 
PO Box 1692, Wellington 6140


To claim as a result of a death:

Online Lodge your claim using our online claims service
Call us 0800 267 425 - Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5:30pm
Write to us claimsmailbox@amplife.co.nz
PO Box 1692, Wellington 6140


What to expect

  1. We’ll be in touch once we receive your claim information. You will have a dedicated case manager to help you through the process.
  2. You can expect a call from us once the assessment of your claim is underway. This call will be to either discuss your claim outcome, or to ask for more information to assist in your claim.
  3. Although every claim is different, we try to pay you as soon as possible after we’ve approved your claim. We aim to pay you within five working days of approving a claim.

Rehabilitation services

If you’re making an income protection claim, it may be appropriate to arrange access to rehabilitation services. With increasing research showing that work is good for our health, it makes sense to help support your return to wellness and work, where we can.

How rehabilitation services work

If you’re claiming on your income protection insurance, it's important to get in touch as soon as possible. Not only can we start assessing your claim, but it also means we can consider rehabilitation options, sooner rather than later.

Where access to rehabilitation services is appropriate, your case manager will work alongside your GP or specialist, to make sure that everyone agrees with and supports your rehabilitation plan.

Frequently asked questions

General FAQs

What if I cannot find my Policy Document?

That's ok. When we write to you outlining the requirements for making a life insurance claim, we'll include a form that can be completed by the claimant(s) stating the Policy Document is lost, or cannot be located. Not having the Policy Document will not delay your claim, but it’s important that if you can't find it, that you fill in the declaration of loss form and send it back to us with all the other information we've requested.

You won't need to send us your Policy Document if you are making a claim on your Income Protection, Trauma, Crisis or Total and Permanent Disablement insurance policies.

What is a certified copy?

A certified copy is a copy of a document, signed and certified, as a true and correct copy.
Signatories may be:

  • a Justice of the Peace
  • a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
  • Notary Public or Court officials

If you wish you can send in original documents at your own risk and at your request we can return the originals to you once the assessment process has been completed.

When the purpose for certifying a document is for verification of a person’s identity, AMP Life accepts the certification from a wider group of people.
The following are also accepted for verification of identity purposes:

  • AMP Life Adviser or AMP Life Employee
  • Registered medical doctor
  • Chartered accountant
  • Police constable
  • Registered teacher
  • Kaumātua
  • Member of Parliament
  • Minister of religion
  • Commonwealth representative
  • NZ Honorary Consul

Can Advisers witness signing documents/take statutory declarations/verify identity?

Advisers cannot take statutory declarations. Statutory declarations can be made before Justices of the Peace, Barristers and Solicitors of the High Court of New Zealand, Notary Public or Court officials. Advisers can however verify the identity of their clients.

How long will we take to assess your claim?

This will depend on the information we have received, the type of claim, and what we need to make our decision. Your claims consultant will be in touch to discuss any further information that is required to continue the processing of your claim.

If we need additional medical notes, how long will it take for these to be received?

This will depend on the practice or department we are requesting the information from. We will follow up with the practice or department if there is a delay in receiving information from them.

If I have an exclusion on my policy, can I still claim?

Because everyone is different, sometimes your definitions may have been amended so we could provide you cover, so please read your policy schedule to confirm if you have any exclusion to the usual definitions. Each claim is assessed on its own merit, so please contact us or your Adviser if you have any questions.

What happens if my claim is deferred or declined?

In the event of your claim being deferred or declined this will have no effect on your cover, or your ability to claim in the future. We do keep a record of your claim for future reference.

If you have any complaint about the handling of your claim, we will acknowledge your issue and investigate your concerns.  We will endeavour to resolve the complaint with you directly.

AMP Life is also a member of the Insurance & Financial Services Ombudsman (IFSO) scheme.  This is an independent dispute resolution service that is free to consumers.  If for any reason we are unable to resolve your complaint with you and an impasse is reached, you may be able to refer the matter to the IFSO Scheme for resolution.  Details of the IFSO Scheme and the types of complaints that it can consider can be found at http://www.ifso.nz.

Life claims

What information do I need to make a death claim?

We will send you a list of requirements and forms to complete. In general this includes a certified death certificate with cause of death, policy documents and forms to complete. You can notify us of a death by either completing the online notification form or contacting our call centre on 0800 267 425

Are death benefits taxable?

Life insurance benefits are paid as tax free benefits. However, as everyone has individual tax situations, you may wish to discuss this with your accountant.

Who is an executor?

An executor is a person or a trustee corporation (e.g. Public Trust), who represents the deceased and who has been appointed to administer the deceased’s property and to carry out the provisions of the deceased’s will.

Who is an administrator?

An administrator is a personal representative of a deceased, appointed by the High Court to administer the property of the deceased generally where a deceased has died without leaving a valid will, or left a will but failed to appoint an executor in it, or has appointed one but the appointment was not valid.

What is administration?

Administration means obtaining probate of a will of a deceased person at the High Court and includes the grant of letters of administration of the estate of a deceased person by the High Court. Obtaining administration is required when the value of the life insurance policy (including one with an investment component) extends beyond NZ$15,000.

What is probate/letters of administration and where do I get it from?

Probate is granted by the High Court in respect of a deceased person’s estate. A grant of probate means that the will of a deceased person has been proved and registered in the Court and confirms the executor(s) able to act for the Estate.

Letters of administration are granted by the High Court in respect of a deceased person who dies without a will (intestate). A grant of administration means that an estate and affairs of the deceased person are managed by the person appointed by Court, called administrator(s).  A solicitor commonly applies for Probate or Letters of Administration on behalf of the estate executors or administrators.

What happens if the death certificate is subject to coroner’s findings?

If the cause of death is subject to coroner’s findings, the death certificate will need to be sent in with a certified copy of the interim coroner’s report. We will consider the interim coroner’s report, however, we may still have to wait for the final death certificate and final coroner’s report.

What if the deceased (New Zealand resident or otherwise) died overseas leaving the estate in New Zealand?

If the deceased died abroad and left their estate in New Zealand, administration of the estate must be obtained in New Zealand or, if probate or letters of administration of the estate have been granted by a Court in a Commonwealth Country or in the Republic of Ireland, the probate or letters of administration must be resealed in New Zealand. It is not relevant whether or not the deceased was a New Zealander. What is relevant is that they left an estate in New Zealand.

Is the claim eligible for a funeral benefit?

Some Life policies have a funeral benefit that allows up to $15,000 of the sum insured to be paid before the claim has been fully assessed. Please ask if this feature is available on the policy.

Disablement claims

What if I’m receiving benefits from ACC?

ACC benefits are deducted from any income protection benefits that AMP pays.

If I’m claiming for an illness/injury when do I get paid from?

If eligible, your payments would commence within one month after the end of any applicable waiting period/qualifying period.

What is a waiting period/qualifying period?

It is the period of time in which no benefit will be payable. The length of the waiting period is determined by yourself and your Adviser at time of application.

Important information

While care has been taken to supply information on this website that is accurate, no entity or person gives any warranty of reliability or accuracy, or accepts any responsibility arising in any way including from any error or omission.

AMP Life Limited ABN 84 079 300 379 (AMP Life) has proudly served customers in Australia and New Zealand since 1849. AMP Limited ABN 49 079 354 519 has sold AMP Life to the Resolution Life group whilst retaining a minority economic interest. AMP Limited (and its related companies) have no day-to-day involvement in the management of AMP Life whose products and services are not affiliated with or guaranteed by AMP Limited. “AMP”, “AMP Life” and any other AMP trademarks are used by AMP Life and Resolution Life under licence from AMP Limited.